Monday, December 26, 2005
Monday, December 26, 2005
I watched Pride and Prejudice today!! Dad bought the DVD online about 2 weeks ago. And I thought it was the old version but turned out to be the just released one.
Well, firstly I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with the movie. EXCEPT Matthew MacFadyen who played Mr Darcy is extremely fitting. ^.^ But I am disappointed with the movie...the older one was much better except that Darcy looked uglier than this one while the current Mr Bingley, Jane, Mr Bennet and Elizabeth looked uglier than the old ones and Ms Catherine (whose name I've forgotten) looks so well and pretty she ought to be Elizabeth instead because Keira Knightley is so thin and...well, she looked sick and frail. Oh well, one cannot have everything...
Firstly, the movie had so many cuts from the novel that you hardly know who is who until they talked and then you guessed who they are. That is, if you know this story well. If not, you'll be like my father, staring at the screen like this 0_0, and wondering what in the world is happening on screen. Like what did Wickham do that is so bad that Darcy said it was his fault for not exposing him, how come this couple suddenly took Elizabeth out to don't know where and suddenly she enters Darcy's house and met him and his sister there, and what did Darcy do with Lydia apart from paying the marriage and being there? All these aren't explained in the movie which is VERY FRUSTRATING BECAUSE THEY ARE THE KEY TURNING POINTS OF THE STORY.
Then, I think the copy was terrible, it kept stopping at the beginning and the ending...and the subtitles!!Goodess, I've never seen such a terrible job! It's either spelled wrongly or the words are completely wrong. And the sentences sometimes doesn't even make sense at all!
Mr Collins was very well played I find, hee hee. A very monotonous man who sees highly of himself...blah blah. So short that Darcy ignored him till Collins shouted his name and then he turned around with one hand on his hips...but the ending was quite a let down. It ended when Elizabeth talked to her father regarding marry Darcy and then she ran out and then...the end. I mean, so where's the marriage? Where's the gratitude towards the Gardiners? Where's the anger of Lady Catherine after the marriage (the violent letter)? Where's the bad habits of Lydia and Wickham? Sheesh. It's all so incomplete. Or perhaps it's because I've done a thorough study on it and so, am pretty critical about the movie...
I do hope someone remakes this movie...